Cats are known for their playful personalities, but some of their other habits can be equally as intriguing. One of these is how cats breathe- they often take deep breaths that smell like cat food.
Some people find the smell of cats deeply relaxing, while others find it unpleasant. As a result, many cat owners have discovered that their cats take deep breaths that sometimes smell like their food.
This unique scent is created when air molecules are exhaled through the nose and mouth at the same time. Even though some people find this smell pleasant, most others find it disgusting or overwhelming.
Why My Cats Breath Smells Like Cat Food
People often assume that cats’ breath smells like their food because of the way their digestive system works. In fact, cats’ respiratory systems are very different from humans, and their breathing mechanism is based on scent detection and navigation.
Cats have a four-chamber nose, allowing them to smell much more than humans. Their nasal passages also have ridges that help direct the airflow as they inhale and exhale. It allows them to smell chemicals and other particles at a greater distance than humans can.
Cats breathe in air and exhale a smell often described as smelling like cat food. This odor is caused by bacteria that live on the cat’s tongue and in the respiratory tract. The bacteria produce methane, which is responsible for the smell.
This smell is especially noticeable when cats are resting or sleeping because they usually breathe more deeply during these times.
While this smell may not be pleasing to some, it is essential for the health of cats. This scent helps cats to find food, mates, enemies, their way around, and identify their own territory. The smell of cat breath can also help cats to communicate with each other.
If you’re struggling with an offensive odor coming from your cat, there might not be anything you can do about it other than to take care of them properly.
How to Prevent Cats’ Breath Smells Like Cat Food
Like most cat owners, you’ve probably experienced the unpleasant scent of your feline’s breath at some point. And while it may not seem like much, that cat breath smell can quickly become overwhelming in a small space.
Fortunately, there are a few easy ways to prevent your cat’s breath from emitting an unpleasant odor.
- Make sure that your cat is eating a healthy diet. A diet high in meat and proteins will produce odors that will permeate their saliva and breath. If you feed your cat canned food or dry food cooked in oil or fat, try switching to a diet made entirely of fresh meats and vegetables.
- Make sure they’re hydrated. A dry kitty will produce more bad breath because they won’t have enough saliva to brush their teeth and clean their mouth. If your cat drinks plenty of water each day, they’ll be less likely to produce that awful smell!
- Make sure your cat is getting adequate exercise. This will help them eliminate any unwanted toxins from their systems and reduce the likelihood of having smelly breath.
- Keep your cat clean and groomed. An unkempt coat can harbor bacteria that will contribute to an offensive odor.
- Brush their teeth regularly. This will remove any food particles that may be contributing to the smell, and it will also help keep their teeth clean and healthy.
- Make sure they’re getting regular dental check-ups! A healthy mouth means no bad breath! Missing teeth can also cause bad breath in cats.
- Get them checked out by the veterinarian regularly to make sure there is no underlying medical issue causing their breath to smell like cat food.
Cats breathe in scents that come from bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms that live on their tongue and in their respiratory passages.
These odors are what give cats the characteristic smell of cat food. Some people believe this smell is comforting to cats, while others say it makes them nauseous.
While most people find this smell pleasant, some find it unpleasant. The best way to avoid the smell is to keep your cat eating a healthy diet, staying hydrated, and maintaining hygiene.
Leave a Reply